Baking soda is a powerful, natural cleaning product used that has been for centuries. It’s a versatile and cost-effective alternative to chemical-based cleaning products and can be used in home cleaning in various ways.
From deodorizing carpets and soft furnishings to removing rust, baking soda is an effective and non-toxic solution to many common cleaning problems. However, you might have yet to learn the full potential of baking soda, so in this article of brightex, we’ll look at ten surprising uses for baking soda in home cleaning and the benefits of using it instead of chemical materials.
Baking soda in home cleaning is considered a great, inexpensive, versatile tool for keeping your home clean. Its mild abrasive nature makes it perfect for scrubbing dirt, grime, and grease without harsh chemicals or detergents.
For general cleaning, make a paste from baking soda and water, then apply it with a sponge or cloth. This paste is perfect for cleaning kitchen counters, cabinets, appliances, and bathroom fixtures like sinks and tubs.
When it comes to cleaning kitchen surfaces, baking soda is the best option. To clean kitchen surfaces with baking soda:
- Mix one cup of baking soda with a quart of warm water.
- Use a damp cloth or sponge to scrub the surface.
- For tough, caked-on food messes, make a paste of baking soda and water, apply it to the area, and let it sit for 10 minutes before scrubbing.
The benefits of using baking soda in home cleaning are numerous. First, it is non-toxic, inexpensive, and easy to find in most grocery stores. Baking soda is also very gentle, so it won’t damage delicate finishes like granite or marble.
Cleaning your oven can be a daunting task. However, baking soda can help make the job easier and more effective. To use baking soda to clean your oven:
- Please turn off your oven and let it cool down.
- Mix a paste of 3 parts baking soda with 1 part water in a bowl and apply it to the oven surfaces.
- Let the mixture sit for several hours or overnight before scrubbing it off with a damp cloth. You may need to repeat this process if there are more challenging spots or stuck-on messes.
The other benefit of using baking soda in home cleaning is deodorizing the oven. Sprinkle some baking soda on the bottom of your range and let it sit overnight. Then, the following day, wipe away any residue with a damp cloth. You can also create a paste of baking soda and water and spread it around the oven’s interior to boost odour elimination.
Cleaning your microwave with baking soda can be a great way to save time and money. Baking soda is incredibly effective and safe, perfect for cleaning your microwave. To start:
- Combine equal parts of baking soda and water in a bowl.
- Stir the mixture until it forms a thick paste.
- Apply the paste to the interior of your microwave with a clean cloth.
- Leave the paste for a few minutes, then scrub the microwave with a damp cloth.
- Once you’re done, wipe the interior with a wet cloth and some distilled white vinegar.
These methods will help remove any baking soda paste residue and leave your microwave sparkling clean!
Carpets and rugs
Baking soda in home cleaning can be used to absorb odours from carpets and rugs, as well as help remove stains.
To use baking soda for carpet and rug cleaning, sprinkle baking soda generously over the affected area. Let it sit for 15-30 minutes to allow the baking soda to absorb any odours. Afterwards, vacuum up the baking soda and any remaining debris.
You can make a paste out of baking soda and water for stubborn stains. Apply the paste to the stain and let it sit for at least 30 minutes before wiping away the residue with a damp cloth. For added effectiveness, sprinkle some baking soda on the area after removing the paste. Vacuum again to remove any excess baking soda and debris.
Using baking soda for cleaning stainless steel is also a great way to avoid harsh chemicals, as baking soda is non-toxic and odourless. In addition, as it is natural and mildly abrasive, it can safely remove surface dirt and debris without causing damage. Furthermore, it is pH neutral and helps restore the surface’s natural protective coating, which prevents rust and helps keep stainless steel shiny.
Finally, baking soda in home cleaning is an excellent choice for washing stainless steel because it leaves a pleasant smell and won’t dull the surface like other harsher cleaners.
Windows and mirrors
Baking soda can be a great tool to use when it comes to cleaning windows and mirrors. The fine grain of baking soda is ideal for removing dirt, grease, and other residues that accumulate on surfaces. Plus, baking soda is non-abrasive, so it won’t scratch or damage the glass. To use baking soda in home cleaning:
- Make a paste of 3 parts baking soda and 1 part water.
- Apply the paste to the surface and use a clean cloth to scrub away the dirt and grime.
- When finished, rinse with warm water and wipe dry with a soft cloth. The result will be streak-free windows and mirrors that sparkle like new.
Using baking soda as a fabric softener is a great way to naturally soften your clothes and linens. To do so, add 1/2 cup of baking soda to the wash cycle.
This method will help reduce static cling and leave your clothes feeling soft and fresh. You can also make your fabric softener by baking soda with white vinegar and water. This natural fabric softener will help reduce static cling and also help eliminate odours from your clothes and linens.
It is essential to keep bathrooms clean, as it is the most frequently used area in any household. Fortunately, baking soda can be an effective way of cleaning and freshening up the bathroom. Here are some ways you can use baking soda in your bathroom:
- Toilet bowl cleaner: Make a paste of baking soda and water and scrub the toilet bowl. This process will help to remove dirt and grime from the toilet surface.
- Bathtub cleaner: Sprinkle baking soda on a damp sponge and use it to clean the bathtub. In this way, any soap scum and hard-water stains will be removed.
- Sink cleaner: Mix baking soda with water to create a thick paste. Apply this paste on the sink surface, let it sit for 15 minutes, and then scrub it off using a damp cloth or sponge.
Cleaning drains with baking soda is a safe, natural way to eliminate clogs. Baking soda can also be used to freshen smelly drains. The benefits of using baking soda in home cleaning are countless.
These benefits will make baking soda a much better alternative to harsh chemical cleaners, which can damage the environment. It is also safe for your pipes and won’t rust them as some other chemical solutions can.
Baking soda can be used for a variety of home cleaning purposes. It’s a natural and cost-effective way to clean and deodorize your home. For deep cleaning and sanitizing, however, it may not be as effective as chemical cleaners, so it’s essential to know when to use which.
If you struggle to use baking soda in home cleaning, you can always call for experts. Brightex offers a wide range of services for professional cleaning to keep your home safe and healthy.
From carpet cleaning to upholstery and window cleaning, our experts will make sure that your home is in top condition. If you’re looking for a reliable and efficient cleaning service, don’t hesitate to reach out to us! We are ready to answer any questions you may have.
Instead of using chemical material with plenty of disadvantages, you can use non-toxic and cost-friendly baking soda. This powder is effective and won’t damage anything in the cleaning process.
Baking soda has various uses, and one of them is deodorizing carpets. Sprinkle baking soda on the carpet and clean all baking soda with a vacuum cleaner.
All you have to do is add a proper amount of baking soda in water and stir it until you have a paste. Then, apply this paste to different are that you want to clean.